How you could respond to callers
This list of questions is not meant to be exhaustive and they may not always be appropriate. They are just examples of responses that may be helpful.
You could say:
- Hello (insert support line name here and your name), how can I help?
- Would you like to tell me what’s on your mind?
- We’re here to listen
- How are you feeling?
- What happened then?
- What do you mean by that?
- How did that affect things?
- Would you like to tell me some more?
- Is there anything else that you want to talk about?
- It sounds as if that was: very upsetting/difficult/distressing/frustrating for you
- Have you thought about what you can do about it?
- What do you think your options are?
- How might you go about it?
- Can I make some suggestions?